Deafhood: "Wall of Shame"
Jared Evans had some thoughtful elucidation on Deafhood. I had been trying to undertake this contention about Deafhood but I recoiled, inasmuch as I'm hearing; thereupon I wasn't sure if I did have the privilege to divulge my thoughts on it.
[Annotation for people who sent me the emails and LTL's posters, check the lowermost comment below.]
Until Jared's post; in the face of the risk of condemnation, I decisively maintained my courage and threw my thought into the Deafhood debate. The truth is, this post isn't in reference to my thought but in reference to my experience on the precise element of representational argument. As to add it to the confabulation, it's my number one pet peeve; as it did to Jared but differently. What does get my goat is that person[s] was trying to condemn or disperse the substance without meticulously studying, reading or analyzing the "substance" textbook[s]. Not only is it unethical; it's fallacious, unprofessional and untrustworthy.
I'd like to emblematize my university's beyond-expected successful 5 years old "Wall of Shame" chastisement to offer you an illustration and reaffirmation of my reason above. On account of plagiarism and other predicaments, the professors had a full-day meeting, hashed out their solutions on how to solve them. At the end of the day, they agreed upon and formulated the draconian rules and consequences. The simple three elements:
1. plagiarism
2. duplication
3. inconversant animadversion
While inconversant animadversion is on the lowermost bottom, it's the highest and foremost dishonorable crime students could commit at my university. What does it mean? The simplified definition: Condemning, dispersing and criticizing the substance, e.g. Deafhood without studying, reading or analyzing the textbook[s] thoroughly and comprehensively. If a student commits this foremost dishonorable crime in debates or their homework, the professor will post their enlarged picture, full name, email address, box address and the crime s[he] commited on the "Wall of Shame" wall. The student will have to live through the taunts, insults, ridicule and jeering by the students and professors for two weeks before their personal information is taken down. If the student talks back, the prolongation of the punishment will be lengthened into four weeks or suspended for unethical behavior.
The punishment wasn't pretty (some students cried or threw a tantrum in front of the public) but it works effectively. It, although, is a draconian rule but it purposefully taught us to not to put ourselves into a position where we ensuingly compromise our credibility if challenged whether or not if we read and study the textbook[s]. It has a voluminous impact on my attitude of debating with others. At DeafRead, to not fingerpoint but I've noticed one or two persons whom indubitably, incontestably, didn't read the Deafhood textbook while condemning or dispersing it in their posts. The evidence was there; quoted the statements from the poster's comments in lieu of quoting directly from the textbook to disperse it or make their point. In my scholarly, sociological eyes, their argument appears rather uncharacteristically odd and unconventional. Once that person had done that, their credibility indicatively evaporate in my eyes. Similarly, as Jared pointed out, I have no problem with people who disparage the aspects and substances of Deafhood as long as they meticulously read and examined the textbook[s]. It's not a burdensome thing to do. In truth, it's a very elementary thing to do. Be smart, be versed in knowledge [textbooks] and, the most important, be a virtuous person.
As referring to Deafhood, given my Sociology background, I had mulled over about getting a Deafhood textbook for myself and study it. And also to give it to my ASL tutor, Chris too ... truthfully, yes, I'm trying to impress Chris or have him to court me.
Posters and people who sent me emails or posted the comments, I resolve to respond your emails and your comments promptly. I am sorry about the long absence, I'll unfold about it some time. Back to the assignments. Ugh.
Update - Typos corrected.

4 comments:
That was a kick-ass post but go easy on the thesaurus :-) Big and long words makes it unnecessarily hharder to read.
Hi Jared!
Ha. Believe it or not, I didn't use a thesaurus to write my posts. The words I've learned in my Sociology and Debating classes. But I will try to make some effort to tone them down. "Inconversant animadversion" words they used to describe the third rule.
Thank you for the response!
I really like the rules Jean's university created for the students. It'll offer them the quality debates and discussions.
Great entry!
Jared, by the way, you should've seen Otto's beautiful, lengthened and artistically (worded) writing at his blog! I wish I could write like that but English is my fourth language. I'm out for luck, well, for now.
Deaf Ogre - Hi greenie! I concur and thank you for the response!
Post a Comment