Deaf girls never say no
That was a hearing male classmate from my ASL class whom sneeringly claimed. Unmistakably, I plainly didn't know what that meant.
There were four hearing male classmates from my ASL class, standing in a huddle, holding coffee cups while chitchatting nearby Joseph's classroom. As in reference to my old post, it made me curious as of to what and why they took the course in ASL. We had a few free minutes so I asked them. It went like this--
I greeted them with a smile: "Buon giorno, guys"
All four gave me greetings and had introduced me to everyone. Matthew's a tall and muscular first-line rugby player. I recalled watching him play in the rugby games last year. He was the first one I asked, "Do you remember the last monday about the small numbers of hearing men in ASL classes overall in America?" The guys nodded. I continued, "It is for my curiosity, why are you taking lessons in ASL?"
Matthew chuckled dryly: "Babe, I am administered by, say, a disciplinary action as I had caused some disturbance in the hall before the school closed. Wonky (The Board) felt that I'm needed to be stimulated by cultural differences to deplore my ill-advised behavior or Wonky says so. They crammed the list in my face and I choose ASL."
"Oh", I responded speechlessly. Shifting my standing position, I held pointed at another guy, "Albert, what about you?".
Albert half-grinned, half-shyly mumbled, "It's for the credits." I gestured at other thin guy, "Darrick?". He thumbed at Albert and replied cheerfully, straightaway, "Same as Al".
I glanced to next fairly cute guy, Marco, who stood by chewing gum and observing me asking guys the questions. Before I could ask, he answered, "I've been seeing this deaf woman for some time now. I was advised to take a course in ASL to lessen our communication complications."
Three guys were stunned and talked all at once while I replied abruptly, "Wow, that's totally neat!". I noted to myself to check the milieu to observe how the guys would react to Marco. I caught Matthew winking at Marco and grinned slyly, "Was it because deaf girls never say no, my bud?"
Needlessly to say, I was taken aback by that errant statement. Marco gave him a brief glance and snorted at his remark. Matthew chortled. The other guys were at a loss. Perplexedly, I asked Matthew, "What's THAT all about?" As to avoid my question, Matthew checked his wristwatch and said with half-gaped, half-chuckled expression, "Oops, it's class time." and strided into the classroom hastily. Bolting into the classroom, I called after him but I was shushed and reminded by other classmates with the "no voice in the classroom" rule. Joseph, my ASL professor, was getting ready and there was nothing I could do about it.
I noted to myself to interrogate Matthew about it when class was over. Unintentionally, right after class was over, I was distracted by several women who had discussed about different ASL gestures in regional locations. By the time I remembered what I was supposed to do, Matthew and Marco were gone. Still perplexed, I threw a question in the discussion with the other women about it and none of them had any idea as to what Matthew insinuated. I, incidentally, hadn't the gut to ask Joseph about it either.
While on the "men" subject, there's a humorous discussion going on at my university blog regarding my party experience. There were more than 100 different freakish pick up lines (comments) within four hours my post was out. I'd paste a few freakish pick up lines in here but DeafRead didn't list my old post in spite of the partially ASL and Deaf topic, so I withdraw. BlogHer picks it up too.

3 comments:
If you had made a separate post about the Deaf-related issue, we would have approved it on DeafRead.com. We don't tend to allow mixed posts to show up on the site. We want to show revelant content for others to read.
Hi Jared.
Oh. O.K. I will keep that in mind from now.
Rent a DVD and watch CHILDREN OF LESSER GOD, starring Marlee Matlin.
Post a Comment